I too watched “The Breakfast Club” last night on ABCFamily and as always, some new thought strikes me while I view. I cringe and laugh in equal measure and even cry alongside the characters, re: Johnson asking about what happens on Monday.
This time, it made me reflect back on my own formative high school years and how often I judge the generation that is now in those shoes. What stories and secrets are hiding behind the smiles and the cell phones? How has the world changed in terms of how people relate since I was in high school less than a decade ago?
So when I saw this post by Slightly Chic, I thought it would be a good time to evaluate who I think I am and who I thought I would become back in high school.
If you had asked my high school freshman self where I thought I would be in 10 years (holy crap, has it really been that long?!), I probably would have said something about living in California, maybe in med school, maybe living in a house on the ocean.
If you had asked my high school senior self where I thought I would in 2014, I would probably have said that I would be married and working at a well-paying job and own a house probably on the east coast but not in my home state. I may or may not have mentioned kids but animals would definitely have been present.
So what’s the reality? Who am I today?
- I have a Bachelor of Science in Management from a top business school
- I am currently re-enrolled in school, after a 3 year break, to get my Master of Library Science
- I do not have a high-paying job but am currently a GA which pays my tuition plus a stipend (perks!)
- I am not married
- Nor do I have any kids yet
- My cat died this past December, a fact that I am still not over, so no pets at the moment
- I am a blogger
- I am striving to be a role model to young women
- I have written (and edited at least 7 times) my first novel
- I am seeking a literary agent to help me get published
- I am an avid reader
- I am addicted to CWTV, in particular Supernatural and The Originals (I miss Smallville!)
- I seem to keep moving further from my home state
- I have no idea where I want my first house to be
- I am once again living with family (living with children gives you an interesting perspective on life)
- I have an amazing support system of family and friends
- According to Jung, I am now an introvert, although I used to be an extrovert
- I know I want to teach college courses later in life
- I might go on to get my PhD
So what does all of this actually add up to? Well I’m not sure. But I think it means that I’m simply human. And in fact, I’m very happy with my life. Being in school is a great opportunity for me and if I could get paid to go forever, then I would. I want to make a difference in the world. I want to leave a mark, I want to be heard. I’ve realized that there are plenty of types of love that can fulfill you, not just romantic love and that true friends are always there for you.
There is no right or wrong answer to who you are, because you are who you are. You can change that and become who you want to be if you work hard enough (but most people don’t put in the effort). Labels are only powerful if we let them be. Example: I was watching the Disney channel (hey, I live with a 10 yr old girl now) and a great Friends for Change commercial came on with Raini Rodriguez (from Austin & Ally, in case you are wondering) who talked about a leadership camp she attended and how their discussions on bullying and labeling really impacted her.
I love that so many young people are getting involved and trying to make a difference in the world. And I hope that it continues to be that way. And that I get a chance to do the same. This blog (and my twitter: kataweb416) are my start.
So who am I?
I’m Katherine (Kat) Webber, author, poet, dreamer, introvert, friend, caregiver, sister, daughter, granddaughter, cousin, student, woman, nerd, reader, blogger, writer, foodie, traveler, planner, and enjoyer of life.
Who are you? Who do you want to be?
(PS – I stole the title from one of my favorite Walt Whitman poems of the same name.)